I have had the privilege to be a guest on the My Carolina Today show in Raleigh, NC. Below are links to my appearances. Enjoy!
Reduced Fat, Full Flavored Potato Salad
- 2 pounds of red potatoes
- 4 hard-boiled eggs
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced green onions
- 6 ounces plain, non-fat Greek Yogurt
- 3 Tbsp. light mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp salt (Start with this amount first. Then add additional salt to mixed salad if needed to achieve desired taste)
- pepper to taste
- paprika (optional)
- Clean potatoes, leave the skins on them and place into large pot filled with water
- Bring potatoes to a rolling boil and cook for 20 minutes, then drain water and allow potatoes to cool
- Chop two of the boiled eggs; the remaining two discard the yolks and chop the remaining egg whites.
- Combine the celery, green onions, yogurt, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper into a medium-sized mixing bowl. Mix until evenly distributed. Set aside.
- Chop the cooled potatoes into bite sized pieces, and place into large mixing bowl.
- Pour Greek yogurt mixture over top of the potatoes.
- Fold until all ingredients are evenly combined
- Sprinkle with paprika if desired and serve.
Mushroom and Onion Turkey Burgers
- 1 pound 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 cup finely chopped baby portabella mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp. onion flakes
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup oatmeal flour
Tips: to ease the cutting of the mushrooms, consider using a mini-food processor. To obtain oatmeal flour, simply use a food processor to grind oatmeal into a fine “flour”.
- Place all ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Mix until all ingredients are evenly combined.
- Form into 4 equal sized burgers
- For grill: cook on lower fire until thermometer shows internal temperature of 175º.
- For skillet: cook on medium heat for 5 to 7 minutes each side until juices run clear.
- Serve with Dijon mustard, red onion, lettuce and tomato on a whole grain sandwich thin round bread.
Grilled Salmon and Pasta with Tomato and Green Onion Relish
- 1 pound of fresh salmon
- 6 large Roma tomatoes, diced
- ½ bunch of green onions, chopped
- ¼ tsp. parsley flakes
- ¼ tsp. basil flakes
- ¼ tsp. oregano flakes
- Ground pepper to taste
- Grated parmesan cheese to taste
- 1 lb. bowtie pasta, cooked and drained
- Dice tomatoes and chop green onions. Place in a microwave safe bowl. Set aside.
- Sprinkle salmon filet with parsley, basil and oregano flakes. Add some fresh ground pepper.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and cook bowtie pasta according to box directions. When done, drain and place in a large colander. Set aside.
- Place salmon on top of grill surface and for 5 to 7 minutes. Flip filet and cook for another 5 to 7 minutes until fish begins to flake.
- While salmon is cooking begin to cook the tomato and green onion “relish” by placing the bowl in the microwave. Cook on high for 1 minute. When it is done, take bowl out of microwave and stir the tomatoes and onions. Place bowl back in microwave and wait until you are ready to serve the salmon onto the plates. At that time, microwave on high for 1 minute. Leave bowl in microwave.
- When salmon is finished cooking, cut into 4 equal sections.
- Measure out 1 cup of cooked pasta and place onto plate. Top the pasta with the salmon. Top the salmon with the tomatoes and green onion relish. Sprinkle tomatoes, green onions and salmon with parmesan cheese to taste. Serve immediately.